Thursday, January 12

Gear Review: Redi-Edge Tactical Pro Knife Sharpener


While a gear review on a sharpener is not as enticing to the reader as a new knife (reviews in the works), a good sharpener may make the difference between a clean cut and a jagged accident.  

I have a number of fixed blades and folders and use them on a daily basis employing many sharpening systems, including the old school Arkansas stone and Spyderco’s Tri-Angle system.  Few sharpeners have performed up to their marketing copy; many fall flat. 


Redi-Edge Tactical Pro

So I was skeptical, when I picked this up at the Waterfowl Festival last year. It is the Redi-Edge Tactical Pro (www.rediedge.com) and retails for $23 USD.  It was highly recommended from custom knife maker Bill McCready, so I gave it a try.  It is a simple pull through design with two carbide blades at an angle that results in a utility edge of 20°.  As you pull through, that folded over dull edge is reshaped. After a half dozen strokes, the edge will easily cut paper; after a baker’s dozen with moderate pressure, it is shaving sharp.

Kitchen knives, which were dull as dishwater (channeling my Mom’s expression), were brought back to Ginsu-esque stature.  I am very impressed by the performance of this sharpener. It has held up well and I consider the price to be fair for the quality of the edge I have established.

Buck Woodsman Brought Back to Life!

There are different designs and the Tactical Pro is also available in a 15° (for kitchen knives) and 30° (for machete type use of cutting/chopping).  

As we all know, the sharper knife is safer than a dull one as you use less effort making the cut and there is less chance that a dull edge will “catch”. When pushing the blade forward, there is less control on a dull blade and a slip can result in a trip to the medicine cabinet …speaking of medicine cabinets, who remembers Mercurochrome? With three boys, my parents had a vat behind the house and they just dipped us in it periodically, holding us by the heel (no Greek mythological reference intended).

5 comments:

Kirk Mantay said...

Seems like a lot easier to use than a conventional sharpener. Is it?

Eastern Shore Outdoors said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Eastern Shore Outdoors said...

As my 10 year old assistant demonstrates, the bevel is "preset" and as long as you keep the sharpener steady, it is quick and easy. I will also put it in a vise for added stability. Thanks for the comment..Phil

The Gang said...

Thanks for the review-very helpful. I am in need of a new sharpener and think I'm going to purchase one of these.

Terry Scoville said...

I have tried a lot of sharpeners and will add this one to the list. I use diamond stones for the majority of sharpening needs. Thanks for the info.